Senior Data Scientist
At StormImpact (www.stormimpact.net), we rely on insightful data to power our systems and solutions. We’re seeking an experienced data scientist to deliver insights on a daily basis. The ideal candidate will have mathematical and statistical expertise, along with natural curiosity and a creative mind. This person will work in the Research and Development team within StormImpact, supporting the development of vegetation risk and storm outage prediction models. An ideal candidate has a strong technical background in data analytics, remote sensing, and predictive modeling/machine learning with previous experience in electrical utilities and/or environmental science applications.
• Solving problems with analytics and building predictive models using multiple programming languages (such as R or Python).
• Utilizing structured and unstructured datasets including geospatial, time series, and remote sensing data.
• Downscaling remote sensing data.
• Designing algorithms for building new models and expanding existing modeling capabilities.
• Evaluating model performance using validation tests.
• Working with Software Engineers to handle large-scale data and computation, storage, and model deployment.
• Presenting modeling results and analyses in an easy to interpret manner.
• Writing robust, well-documented, and well-tested software and libraries that adhere to community standards and best practices.
• Documenting and archiving models and scripts (e.g., using Git).
• Communicating methodologies, as well as leading training on various tools and applications.
Requirements and skills
• 5+ years of experience with data mining and machine-learning.
• Experience with processing and downscaling of remote sensing datasets (e.g., satellite and LiDAR).
• Advanced knowledge of Python and/or R and experience with programming environments (Linux) and relational databases (such as SQL).
• Understanding of structured and unstructured data, and experience with applying statistical concepts to real-world applications.
• Analytical mind, strong math skills, and problem-solving aptitude.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Master’s in relevant field (Computer Science, Engineering, Geoscience, etc.); graduate training in Data Science or similar field is preferred.
• Remote work available