Corporate Development Manager
Build a career powered by innovations that matter! At Novanta, our innovations power technology products that are transforming healthcare and advanced manufacturing—improving productivity, enhancing people’s lives and redefining what’s possible. We create for our global customers engineered components and sub-systems that deliver extreme precision and performance for a range of mission-critical applications—from minimally invasive surgery to robotics to 3D metal printing.
Novanta is one global team with over 26 offices located in The Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific. Looking for a great place to work? You have found it with a culture that embraces teamwork, collaboration and empowerment. Come explore Novanta.
This is a highly visible and strategically critical position at a global public company, where capital deployment towards acquisition is a key tenant of the Corporate Strategy. The role supports initiatives around: (1) acquisitions, (2) divestitures, and (3) joint developments and minority investments. This challenging role contributes to the success of the company by executing the acquisitions, divestitures, and the effective deployment of capital, as a key & visible member of the company.
Primary responsibilities include conducting detailed financial and accounting analyses used to evaluate potential acquisition transactions. Secondary responsibilities include researching industry trends and compiling market landscapes. Having a keen understanding of financial models, and the M&A due diligence process will be critical. The ideal candidate will have successful involvement with the identification, analysis, due diligence, negotiation, and integration of acquisitions and divestitures.
- Support acquisition planning, sourcing, evaluating and execution.
- Advise, support, and drive deal teams of subject matter experts from Corporate, operating companies, and outside advisors to complete required due diligence and integration work and reach investment recommendations.
- Manage cross-functional due diligence teams with a hands-on, team-oriented approach to ensure deadlines are achieved and ownership is properly assigned.
- Manage the acquisition pipeline reporting and tracking through Novanta’s pipeline management system, DealCloud.
- Collaborate with corporate strategy and business teams to research, review and prioritize potential transactions for strategic fit and rationale.
- Conduct financial valuation activities and support pricing evaluations to ensure attractive cash returns (e.g. ROIC, Cash-on-Cash, Payback, etc.).
- Coordinate commercial and functional due diligence activities, identifying key opportunities and issues/risks, while ensuring all functional leaders are supporting diligence efforts and committed timelines are achieved.
- Support internal or external counsel in negotiating the transaction related legal documentation, including confidentiality agreement, purchase & sale agreement and transition services agreements.
- Prepare and present leadership review materials, including board-level materials for transaction approval processes or regular pipeline/deal updates.
- Ensure the integrity and efficiency of the transactions and the internal/external reporting of the company’s overall financial results.
- Plan and coordinate sign to close execution requirements, including supporting regulatory and financing requirements.
- Track post-closing acquisition performance & contingent payment calculations.
- Work with the Business teams to structure the transaction to maximize the financial benefits, while ensuring clear & transparent accountability to the integration plan and activities, including timing and resource requirements.
Required Experience, Education, Skills and Competencies
- +3 years total in M&A, consulting, and other business development activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA preferred.
- Prior experience in corporate development, investment banking, or private equity is a plus.
- Outstanding communication, analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Strong experience conducting detailed due diligence, with demonstrated experience producing and presenting analysis, valuation, and recommendation materials to senior level management.
- Working knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Internal Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Strong Excel modeling skills and the ability to perform financial modeling, valuation and due diligence.
- Proficient in working with Capital IQ, FactSet or comparable market data provider as well as manipulating and analyzing large data sets.
- Strong skills in strategic and quantitative analysis, and complex project management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to create compelling presentations and reports.
- Strong track record of being a team player within a matrix organization, with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Capable of managing cross-functional teams on fast-paced projects in a matrix organization.
- Be familiar with typical legal & economic deal terms and alternative approaches to risk allocation.
- Be willing and able to travel as required, including on short notice.
- More than 40%
Compensation and Benefits
- The base pay for this position ranges from $104,118 to $156,177 annual depending on the geographic market.
- Dependent on the position offered, annual bonuses and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of the compensation package.
- Novanta supports all aspects of your life’s needs. This position provides a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits to make your quality of life better.
Novanta is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by federal law or Novanta policy.
Please call +1 781-266-5700 if you need a disability accommodation for any part of the employment process.