Strategic Sourcing Manager
Build a career powered by innovations that matter! At Novanta, our innovations power technology products that are transforming healthcare and advanced manufacturing—improving productivity, enhancing people’s lives and redefining what’s possible. We create for our global customers engineered components and sub-systems that deliver extreme precision and performance for a range of mission-critical applications—from minimally invasive surgery to robotics to 3D metal printing.
Novanta is one global team with over 26 offices located in The Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific. Looking for a great place to work? You have found it with a culture that embraces teamwork, collaboration and empowerment. Come explore Novanta.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager position is a critical role central to our supplier and purchasing strategy. The role will lead and coordinate key supplier relationships, supplier risk mitigation, material productivity, net working capital improvement and operating margin expansion activities.
This role also focuses upon development of both short-term and long-term procurement strategies to ensure a well-managed supply chain in support of business goals. This role must closely align with the appropriate internal stakeholders to understand product build forecasts and schedules so that supply chain activities can be managed to properly support the business at all times.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager will be the leader to manage cost-out initiatives while ensuring supreme delivery and quality related to the procurement of parts and components that impact Company projects.
Below highlights key responsibilities, but is not all inclusive:
Negotiate key business metrics with suppliers, such as cost reductions, inventory agreements, lead time reduction and supplier payment terms to meet AOP (Annual Operating Plan).
Develop and implement long term strategies for commodities in alignment with corporate commodity team to achieve supplier consolidation, deflation, savings and risk reduction goals by leveraging volume, negotiations, and supplier development.
Working alongside the Materials management team, monitor commodity lead time changes to signal expedite/push deliveries as required to avoid business disruptions.
Track supplier performance and provide regular feedback to key suppliers; set clear expectations with suppliers and work with corporate commodity and SDE team to add/replace suppliers as needed for optimal business results.
Manage supply base through supplier selection, qualification, development, and regular performance evaluations, to develop best suppliers and to ensure an optimum supply chain in alignment with corporate commodity and SDE team.
Build strong cross-functional relationships, from Engineering through Suppliers, and work with colleagues to understand their needs as related to supply chain; work continuously to exceed their expectations and deliver excellent results.
Work with corporate commodity team to mitigate business risk by addressing commodities with long lead times, inability or cost prohibition to air shipping, suppliers with capacity constraints, suppliers with fulfillment issues, suppliers with significant payment or terms constraints, suppliers with excessive pricing, single- or sole-source suppliers; develop solutions to ensure business continuity.
Mitigate risk to the supply chain by understanding the markets, economic conditions, global events, etc.
Implement VMI partnerships where appropriate.
Participates in internal design reviews, providing technical support for Engineering on design optimization, VAVE, DFM, and DFP.
Manage and track tooling and investment.
Review suppliers to keep abreast of new capabilities, products and techniques..
Research sources of supply and services to maintain flexibility, high quality and competitive pricing in the supplier base.
Support lean manufacturing activities.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Education, Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in (Procurement, Business or Technical Field) with 5+ years of work experience in Supply Chain field OR Master’s degree in (Procurement, Business or Technical Field) with 3+ years of progressive experience in Supply Chain field. MBA degree is a plus.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of MS Office. Ability to rapidly learn new software/programs as needs arise. Experience with ERP systems in a manufacturing environment; Oracle experience a plus.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret mechanical drawings to effectively communicate the designs or discrepancies from shipments to supplier should questions arise.
- Strong negotiation, analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving skills.
- Good strategic thinking, people skills and cross functional team leadership skills.
- Technical background preferred with the ability to understand engineering concepts.
- Highly effective and professional verbal and written communication skills with team, internal customers and suppliers.
- Exhibit & encourage sense of urgency, highly energetic and success driven.
- Multi-task and prioritize projects and primary responsibilities.
- Excellent follow-through
- Experience with international suppliers a strong plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and passport and be able to travel domestically and internationally, if necessary, up to 50%.
Compensation and Benefits
- The base pay for this position ranges from $116,000 up to $150,000 depending on the geographic market.
- Dependent on the position offered, annual bonusses and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of the compensation package.
- Novanta supports all aspects of your life’s needs. This position provides a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits to make your quality of life better
Novanta is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by federal law or Novanta policy.
Please call +1 781-266-5700 if you need a disability accommodation for any part of the employment process.